Thursday, April 16, 2009

Reflection

Over the past semester I have become familiar with Indiana Wesleyan University. More than that, I have become familiar with the people in the division of Religion and Philosophy. However, at the beginning of the semester this was not the case. When I registered for classes as an incoming freshman I was not expecting anything like what I was given. The professor that helped me choose classes came up to me as I was waiting to give my list to records and penciled in the the words “ Youth Ministry Practicum”. I didn't know what it meant but he simply said, “No big deal you will be fine.” So I went into the practicum fully unprepared for what was about to happen. I had no idea that the practicum would be as difficult as it was. I struggled for the first half of the semester with the unexpected addition to the point of exhaustion. Things had to change, I was half way through the semester and barely keeping my head above the water. In truth I was getting close to drowning. So, mid semester, I dropped a class and refocused my efforts. After this, I got caught up and started giving more attention to the practicum. I got more involved in practicum and became more reliable. In the end it was an experience I needed. I learned how to manage my time better and how to meet a deadline. It had its ups and downs, but I was glad it happened the way it did. I wouldn't do it differently because it was an enriching experience.
So, in closing, the concept of a first semester practicum can be daunting when not prepared. I personally think that an individual should not be allowed to take one until their second semester. They are enriching and help you get a better idea if ministry, but can blindside a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment